Monday, October 20, 2014

Georgia On My Mind

I apologize for the delay, this post was supposed to be added last week, but life intervened.  You all know how that goes.

On October 11, my wife and I threw on our gear and headed up to Georgia.

Initially, our plan was to ride to St. Augustine and enjoy the Atlantic Coast.  However, due to a late start, we decided to remain inland and travel up to Georgia.  Couldn't ask for better weather on our journey, high of 83 with a nice breeze, few clouds. 

To start out our trip, we had lunch in nearby High Springs at The Diner.  Throughout my childhood, this restaurant changed ownership a couple of times.  When I was in high school it was known as Floyd's Diner - a 1950's classic cafe.  It still maintains that 50's vibe today, with reasonable prices and a decent menu.


After lunch, we proceeded North on US HWY 441.  The plan was to take 441 all the way up to Georgia, passing through Lake City, White Springs, & Jasper.  The traffic was fairly light, especially for a Saturday.  Only ran into trouble as we entered Lake City, there's always that one driver who doesn't understand the concept of cruise control on their vehicle, and they continuously sped up & slowed down. This particular vehicle kept crawling up my back side and then dropping off.  I wasn't in a rush, nor was I going too slow or too fast.  Just kept going 65, but pulled off once I got into town to allow him to pass me.  I wasn't interested in having to deal with that.

The country side really opened up just north of Lake City, limited traffic allowed my wife and I to take in the sights.  I'm lucky enough to live just south of the Suwannee River Valley, and the geography of that region is very enjoyable.  Crossing the Suwannee & Ichetuknee Rivers almost makes you forget you're in Florida, as the topography gives way to hills and curved roads.  There aren't too many places in Florida like this, & discovering them is a real treat.

North of Lake City is the town of White Springs.  Founded at the turn of the 20th Century, White Springs gives visitors a great experience of "small town USA".  Massive Oak Trees line the roads, with the focal point of the town being the White Springs Bed & Breakfast, which was founded in 1905.  White Springs even comes complete with a volunteer fire department!  While we didn't stop, the sight seeing tour was enjoyable.

It seemed that every "wrong turn" I took lead us to better sights and better roads.  Couldn't go wrong with that trip.  It's a short 2-3 hour trip, but it's a nice way to burn a Saturday afternoon.  The road into Georgia was long and empty on this day, and as I stood there on the State Line, I found myself being drawn into Georgia.  While I didn't really venture across, I stood there looking down that lonely highway wanting to know what's down there.  Where would this road take me?  With nothing but swamps & fields as far as the eye could see, I wonder what was at the end of that lonely highway.  Perhaps one day I'll venture further North to see what lies ahead.
 
 
 

On the way back home, we stopped in Live Oak to stretch our legs & to give our butts a rest. A nice cold slushie from the local Burger King did the trick as we rested in the parking lot under some trees.  If you've lived in Florida as long as I have, you pretty much know where the most enjoyable places are.  Florida has an abundance of small towns, but the majority aren't worth the trip.  The Atlantic Coast is preferrable to the Gulf Coast (in my opinion), even though the Gulf does have a few hidden gems.  Just a quick shot north of Lake City opens up an area of Florida that I find most enjoyable. 
 
 
 
Thanks for reading.  Ride safe.
 
-James

No comments:

Post a Comment