Monday, October 6, 2014

Ready To Ride

I picked up the bike from the shop last Saturday -perfect timing.

The weather has been truly spectactular the past 3 days.  Low's in the upper 40's, reaching 80 degrees at mid day.  Fall seems to be kicking in earlier than usual here in the Sunshine State, and I'm perfectly happy with that!

I had a complete inspection and tune up done on the Versys.  It was due for it's first annual inspection, and it was in the shop for 2 weeks.  The valves weren't too bad, they needed a little adjusting, but barring any unforeseen issues, the bike should be good for another 12-20,000 miles. 


I did an oil change yesterday.  Even though the bike didn't need it, I had to do it.  The last time that oil was changed, my dad and I did it together, and it was the first time I've ever done an oil change.  Yesterday, I changed it to "get over the hump".  I wanted to prove to myself that I can move on after his death and take care of the basic maintenance a motorcycle requires.  I know he was watching me do it, and I hope I made him proud.  The truth is, I broke down in tears after I finished.  There's so much more I wanted to learn from him, I swear he knew everything.  But he gave me the tools (literally) and a good sense of direction to teach myself what I need to know.  I miss him terribly, but he's with me every time I put the helmet on.

The bike is ready to ride.  I look forward to taking it on a long ride some time soon.  The weather looks like it will cooperate this week, so if I'm able to ride to work, I'll be satisfied with that for now.


-James

No comments:

Post a Comment