Thursday, July 17, 2014

That's One Classy Lady

My dad owned a 1976 Triumph Tiger 750 that he had been fixing up for me.  Mechanically the bike is sound (only 11,735 miles!), but it needs new brakes, tires, cables, and new wiring couldn't hurt.  The previous owner added a secondary headlight and a tail light extension....just a bunch of crap.  But my plan is to remove all of the excess and get back to classic, vintage Triumph.  A few places need to be re-chromed, but the paint is in beautiful shape.
 
 
 
Since his passing, the bike has become mine.  I honestly can't wait to get started.  With vintage Triumph's, I'm not about to start turning wrenches on it.  It doesn't need engine work, but I'll let the professionals handle replacing parts.  My dad never liked taking his bikes in, he was able to fix everything.  My dad was a grease monkey who had the skill to fix anything.  But I do not posess the knowledge this bike deserves yet.  I'd much rather have a technician do it.  I plan on learning, but I do not want this Triumph to be the lab rat. 


The motorcycle is a classic kick-start, and I'm most certainly going to keep that, but unfortunately, my knees cannot handle too much kicking. I'm going to look into an electric ignition, so the bike will more or less be a single kick start.  Go ahead, give me a hard time about it, but it's my knees that are taking the beating, not yours haha.
 

 
Keep your eyes open for more updates coming soon! In the meantime, I'm posting a link to a short YouTube video on my channel for those who want to hear what this Triumph sounds like.  The shifter is a bit sticky, so it needs some TLC, and the video shows me trying to get the bike in neutral.  She sounds sweet. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfTtOTSDF0&list=UUGjRWJNn0sbINLx8lM0TKCg

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment