Saturday, November 1, 2014

A Change In The Biker Community

Good afternoon!

I would like to address something I've noticed lately concerning the motorcycle community.  This of course is just my opinion.  I'd like to know how other riders feel about this, so be sure to let me know what you think.

A few weeks ago when my wife and I ventured to Daytona Beach, Florida for Biketoberfest, I couldn't help but notice that most bikers seem less friendly these days.  The respect and acknowledgement that bikers have for each other seems to be dwindling. 

In my opinion, it's protocol for a biker to nod their head or throw a wave to a fellow biker as they cross paths as a sign of acknowledgement and respect.  Driving a motorcycle sets you apart from other drivers on the road.  In a sense, it is a brotherhood.  Of course there are more distinguished groups of bikers in Motorcycle Clubs who have their own rules and regulations, but even for those MC members, is nodding to your fellow rider not a classic gesture?

On our Daytona trip, only a handful of the hundreds of bikers we encountered responded to our gestures.  I certainly understand everything is situational.  If it's not a safe time to take your hands off the controls, then of course don't do it, but I take issue with those bikers who act as if it's beneath them to return acknowledgement. 

My father used to avoid waving to other bikers on the highway, and one day I asked him why.  His answer was simple: 'Why should I risk my life by taking my hand off the controls at speed just to wave to someone? My life is more important.'  He certainly brought up a valid point, but I don't believe that is the mind set of every biker on the road, especially if you consider a large number of riders don't even wear basic protective gear.


I've also noticed an increase in wreckless and careless driving practices on the road.  If I'm at a stop light, I have no problem if another motorcyclist pulls up next to me and waits for the green light, but I have a huge problem with bikers who drive really close to me or directly beside me in the same lane. In my opinion, that is a blatant disreguard to my personal safety and to theirs as well.  What happens if I end up having to swerve or God forbid I lay down the bike?  I'm going to take out the other motorcycle as well.  Or if they have to make a quick adjustment, I could be killed or seriously injured.  There needs to be a basic understanding of the environment and riding conditions, and I don't feel many bikers have that.  Basic motorcycle etiquette is at an all time low.

My final argument derives from the type of motorcycles/motorcyclists I see on America's roadways.  Harley-Davidson.  I get it, they're America's classic motorcycle manufacturer and nothing screams red, white, and blue more than an American motorcycle.  I actually take issue with this. It isn't the fact that they ride a Harley, it's the manner in which they do it, and how they carry themselves.  I am annoyed by massive motorcycles covered in hundreds of dollars of chrome accessories on the road, being ridden by people who are more or less trying to create this "image" of what a motorcycle rider should look like.  No helmets, faux leather vests on 900 pound monster Harley's with massive body panels, sometimes blasting their music down the road. It's almost as if they're going for this "look", they all look the exact same, and don't have any regard for their personal safety, or for the safety of others (based on how they ride).  That, combined with how they present themselves on the road - arrogant, cocky, as my dad would say "king shit on turd island".  When in reality, they really look foolish, ignorant, and many of them are really assholes.

One of my best friends from my military days rides a Harley, and my father-in-law owns a Road King.  I've driven them, and I'm presenting my argument based off facts and experience.  I do see their appeal, especially for long rides or cross-country adventures.  But the attitude and personality of the bikers is changing for the worse.  The belief that a person must be a "bad ass" to ride because of chrome accessories on an enormous bike is incredibly elementary.  I own a 2008 Kawasaki Versys and a 1976 Triumph Tiger 750, but because I don't own a Sherman tank on 2 wheels, myself and others find ourselves looked down upon and shunned by these new upstart bikers who don't know the first thing about quality motorcycle sportsmanship.

I'm interested in hearing the opinions from other riders out there.  Is my view on this subject to be considered "old school"? Or does anyone else feel the same way? 


-James
 

No comments:

Post a Comment