Thursday, August 14, 2014

Rest In Peace, Oh Captain, My Captain!

When people think of Robin Williams, especially those of my generation, they immediately reference Mrs. Doubtfire, Aladdin, or Hook.  Occasionally they'll reference Mork & Mindy.  They do this because it's what they remember from their childhood. 

I've never seen Mork & Mindy, only liked certain parts of Mrs. Doubtfire, but Hook and Aladdin were great.  However, when I think of Robin Williams, I think of Good Morning, Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society, and Bicentennial Man - but mostly, I think of his stand up comedy.

Robin Williams was the master of on stage comedy.  His 1986 Live At The Met stand up was phenominal.  I used to fall asleep listening to it when I was a kid.  It was so funny, and I always enjoyed going to sleep in a good mood.  His ability to improvise and change voices so quickly was just incredible.  He could tell stories so perfectly that I think people laughed just as hard at how he did it, as they did for the words themselves. 

My favorite act of all time was his 2002 Live On Broadway show.  I've watched it so many times, but it's just as funny as the first time.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.  Just don't do it while you're driving! Non-stop laughter!

I've lost my uncle and a dear friend to suicide, they were facing the same demons as Robin Williams. It's a tragic loss.   He was loved by so many people around the world. He sought treatment for his acohol and drug addiction problems, but when you naturally have an addictive personality, there's only so much that can be done. 

It's so hard to believe that a man could be so funny, bring love and joy to the hearts of millions, and yet he suffered so much from depression and addiction that it ultimately ended his life.  Let good come out of this.  I hope this raises suicide awareness.  But what people don't understand, is that an average 23 Veterans committ suicide every day.  It's a bigger problem than people realize. 

Robin Williams will be missed greatly by millions.  His impact on the entertainment world cannot be denied, nor will it ever be overlooked.  Regardless of your religious beliefs, we can all agree he's no longer suffering.



You're the man, Robin.  You will be missed.

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment