Monday, November 17, 2014

Dad's 67th

Yesterday would have been my dad's 67th birthday.  He passed away this past March while riding home from Daytona Beach, he was less than 2 miles from home when a drunk driver turned left in front of him and my dad hit the back of the truck.  This being the first birthday since his passing, my family and I got together at my brother's house in Jacksonville for "Denny-Fest 2014" to celebrate and remember my dad, but also to get together again since we haven't all been together since the funeral.  The most beautiful experience from yesterday was meeting my baby nephew Luke for the very first time. 



It was a beautiful gathering of family and friends with great food and drinks.  We played some cornhole and ended the day with all of us gathering around the fire pit to say a few words for dad, and then we commemorated some of his ashes to the fire. He impacted all of us, and the stories told yesterday around that fire pit was a perfect example of how we've all become who we are today because of his encouragement and his guidance.  Dad wasn't right about everything, but it was a sure bet that the things he would say ended up coming true down the road.  I miss him.  We all miss him. 



The gathering yesterday has helped rekindle my desire for the Triumph Tiger.  The first hurdle will be to get the bike from my mom's place over to the shop.  The tires aren't roadworthy and the brake system needs to be rebuilt. That, combined with having limited space at my house to store the bike, has kept the Triumph on the back burner.  But after seeing how my sister fixed up my dad's Mustang, I'm not inclined to keep treading water anymore.  I'm going to be realistic and incredibly budget conscious.  As much as I want to take the bike to my shop with a blank check and say "fix it", I know that just won't work because I don't have the resources to do that (most people don't). I am so blessed to have the full support of my wife on this project and I couldn't be happier about that.  I hope she enjoys the Triumph just as much as I will.

Dad, you were a great man and I know you are with us all of the time.  Your stories are retold over and over by friends and family, and everyone loves you.  I can't wait to get this Triumph up and running so the next family gathering we have, I'll be able to ride out to it, and I know you'll be riding with me.


Ride safe, everyone. Please.

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment