Sunday, October 20, 2013

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Located in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Spain, lies the Balearic Islands.  The island chain is comprised of Mallorca (or Majorca), Minorca, Ibiza, and Formentera.

Palma is the capital city of the province on the island of Mallorca.  The city was originally founded in 123 BC by the Roman Empire and was a major shipping port for Carthage and Hispania. Today, Palma de Mallorca is a huge tourist destination for mainland Europe, more specifically Germany, Ireland, Poland, Netherlands, & United Kingdom. Being a tourist destination, there are many cruise ships and ferry's that visit the island. In fact, the Costa Concordia was pierside during my visit.  Quite spooky, actually.  Not long after leaving Palma, the Costa Concordia tragically sank and took lives with her.

The largest visible structure from downtown Palma is the Cathedral of Santa Maria of Palma.  A very beautiful Gothic Roman Catholic cathedral that was built between 1229-1601.  Renovation and restoration was between 1901-1914.



The city of Palma is very beautifully maintained.  Fall was also in the air, so the crisp, cool temperatures and clear blue sky really added to the magic of Palma de Mallorca.  I don't use the expression "magic" lightly.  I've been all around Europe Africa, and the Middle East, but Palma de Mallorca truly was magical.  I loved it!  I could not get over the wonderful people, the food, the Sangria (oh my God, the Sangria was life changing), and just the overall setting and vibe of the city.  I could live in Palma.  I'd love to live in Palma.






I had a great couple of days hanging with good friends, taking in the sights and sounds of Palma de Mallorca. I can see why this is one of the most popular vacation destinations in Europe.  Great beaches, great food, great night life, great culture, great history.  Palma de Mallorca is in my top 5 favorite places that I've visited. 


I'll end this post with a picture of me enjoying an amazing glass of Sangria and a good smoke, proudly representing Manchester United.  I'd revisit in a heartbeat.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment