Thursday, October 24, 2013

Stay Warm On Brisk Days

Today we experienced our coldest weather of this Fall season so far. The temperature fell to 48 degrees. For those of us who rely on a motorcycle as our main mode of transportation, falling temperatures are never something to look forward to.

I had to break out some warmer riding gear, and by "gear" I mean layers. I have a leather jacket, but really the only thing you can do in a pinch is bundle up. I'm an advocate of layering because it saves money. Why buy heavy riding gear if you don't have to! If you live up north, do whatever you must to stay warm. But in Florida, layering should suffice.



Guys, if your wife or girlfriend owns a pair of opaque tights, they work great! They are thick enough to keep your legs warm under your jeans (Hue makes great opaque nylon and wool tights & can be found at any department store). My wife has a pair of thick fleece-lined tights that I have under my jeans today. Thick enough to double as socks, so your feet don't sweat. They kept me warm on the bike, and are breathable enough that I'm not overheating while indoors. 

Now if you consider yourself a "manly man" and think that wearing tights is insulting to your manliness, then do what works for you. But don't knock it until you try it because it is a cheap and comfortable alternative to keep your legs warm on the road. 

Ladies, same applies. Wear some tights or leggings under your normal riding attire to keep you warm on those brisk days. 

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment