Monday, September 29, 2014

Xbox, Football, & Other Oddities: When A Motorcyclist Can't Motorcycle

You read that title correctly. 

Since I haven't been able to ride the motorcycle (primarily because it's been too hot, today it's raining, & now the bike is in the shop for the valve inspection), I've been trying to find other things to occupy my time.

Thankfully, I work full time and I've been putting in overtime at the office to catch up on work, and to burn a few hours each week.  I use the term "catch up" lightly, because in HR, you're never really caught up.  I applied for a recently opened position in my department and if I can get it, the door for more growth will be opened.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If the weather decides to cooperate, I should hopefully be able to use the bike as a daily driver in the next few weeks.  I look forward to being back on two wheels again, and if this Fall is anything like last year, it will truly be fantastic. 

So along with work, I've been playing on my new Xbox One.  My VA Disabled Veteran compensation kicked in, and I picked up the Xbox One as a fun way to kill some time on the weekend.  I've been messing around with the console, personalizing it and such.  It's really quite impressive. I'm an avid gamer and I've spent countless hours with a controller in my hand.  I didn't get the Kinect addition, so I can't give it voice commands, but I'm okay with that.  I'm looking forward to Forza Horizon 2, it truly has the ability to be one of the greatest games I've ever played.  Right now, Red Dead Redemption still holds that title.

Every weekend, I also look forward to football.  I cannot express my satisfaction that football season is finally back.  For college, the Florida Gators are hanging by a thread in terms of being a dangerous team.  Unforunately, that thread is about to break.  The Gators are truly struggling, and since that 2008 BCS Championship team graduated, Florida has truly been disappointing.  We have a history with douche bag, yet legendary coaches.  Steve Spurrier & Urban Meyer have won championships, then lost the support of Gator Nation when they both skipped town under awful circumstances. 

Since I was younger, as my home town Gators struggled, I've always turned to my favorite NFL team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, for solace.  That has backfired in my face for the past 4 seasons, and it looks like that disappointing trend will continue.  Losing Super Bowl 45 to the Packers, losing to my home town hero Tim Tebow & the Denver Broncos in the 2011 Playoffs, then going 8-8 the past two seasons.  It's still too early to tell what will happen this year, but taking into consideration the awful and completely unnecessary loss to Tampa Bay yesterday, it doesn't look good.  Only 1/4 of the way through the season, Pittsburgh can definitely turn things around, but it HAS to happen now.  The defense has way too many holes, Dick LeBeau's 3-4 Zone Blitz scheme doesn't intimidate opponents anymore because it's a one-trick pony that teams have learned to overcome.  For once, the Steelers offense is starting to take a stand, if you don't look into Todd Haley's head scratching play calling, that is.  The Steelers need help.  If they don't make the playoffs this year, the team needs to make some front office changes.  Ben Roethlisberger isn't getting younger, and his window for success is starting to close. 

We're getting a new roof, new tile flooring in the living room, & the fireplace wall is going to be gutted and rebuilt in the next few weeks and it's going to be really nice.  In the mean time, we've begun our decorations for Fall.  Pumpkins and scarecrows are finding themselves scattered around the house and yard.  We're staging the Halloween gear and deciding where to put things.  Just need to decide what I'm wearing for Halloween.  My dogs have already picked their costumes.

 
  -James

No comments:

Post a Comment