Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Thousand Miles From Nowhere: Republic of Seychelles

The absolute most remote place I have ever visited is the Republic of Seychelles.  Seychelles is located on the East Coast of Africa in the Indian Ocean, 1,000 miles away from the next closest land mass.  A true gem in the Indian Ocean, and a "off the beaten path" tourism location for Europe, Africa, and Asia.
 


The best way I can describe Seychelles is to compare it to Hawaii (think Jurassic Park).  Large mountains and valleys enveloped in low hanging fog and mist. I had never heard of this nation until I set foot there.  The economy is largely based on tourism and fishing. The food had a very American and French influence, which allowed for a nice taste of home, but still maintained the exotic feel of a far away place.  My visit kept me in the capital island of Victoria for 4 days, and this allowed me to get a glimpse of what the future holds for Seychelles and what they strive for.  


The center of town had a really cool 4-way intersection with a clock in the middle.  Plenty of open air markets, store fronts, restaurants, and places of worship.



The main attraction for visitors to Victoria Island is the Berjaya Resort.  A very beautiful resort that has prime real estate on the coast.  Beautiful beaches, towering mountains, and unbeatable views.  Open bar(s), a pool, live music, all on the beach.  




The Indian Ocean is the warmest ocean I have ever swam in.  When I wasn't in the surf, I was kicking back on a beach chair with a local hand-rolled cigar, just taking in the sights and sounds of the beach.  A wedding took place and I really enjoyed watching that.  That resort beach is a great place to have a wedding.  I wouldn't mind renewing my vows there myself.  
  

 To end my last day on the island, I was blessed to see the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen before.  The clouds cleared out in the late afternoon, giving way to a stunning sunset.  I took about 10 pictures of this sunset, but this one is my favorite.  I would certainly return to Victoria Island, Seychelles.  More specifically, the Berjaya Resort.  It is certainly a costly venture, but one I would highly recommend if given the opportunity.

-J


No comments:

Post a Comment