Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Bigger Changes Than I Thought!

As I posted yesterday, my plan was to convert my DRZ400S into a Super Motard by changing out the tires, and adjusting suspension.  After doing more research and talking to good people, I came to the conclusion that an S-to-SM cross-over requires too much time and money, neither of which I have enough to invest.  My bike is a daily driver, I cannot afford to not have it.  The bike is just too beautiful as it is, changing it would only devalue it.
 
Two grand ladies. DRZ (left), Versys (right).
What ended up happening was something I really did not plan on.  I stumbled upon a 2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 at a local dealership.  The bike was in great condition, and I could not take my eyes off it! The previous owner took great care of it.  After a test drive, and a few hours throwing numbers around, I traded in my 2006 Suzuki DRZ400S and drove home on the Versys.  I was able to get a great deal on the bike, and got excellent trade in value on my DRZ.  I am certainly going to miss my DRZ, it was a gift from my dad and I love that bike very much.  However, bikes like that are meant to tear up the dirt and grass on the weekends, and I just couldn't do that anymore.  I wanted something light, but powerful and comfortable.  It took about a year, but I found a good replacement bike.  It even came with a removable storage box that attaches to the back!


Now with the Versys, I can take longer trips, feel more comfortable navigating the local highways and city streets, take my wife for a cruise, but still maintain the quickness and "snappyness" of a Dual Sport/Enduro.  I ordered a new set of tires, and a few other replacement parts.  I think I found a great motorcycle that will last me a long time.  I hope my DRZ goes to a good home with someone who will care for it like I did.
The last picture taken of me and the DRZ before I drove home on the Versys.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment