Saturday, November 23, 2013

Good Things Take Time

I haven't been able to hit the open road just yet.

I ordered a new set of Dunlop tires, clutch cable, and oil filter for the Versys.  These obviously take time (& special equipment for mounting new rubber on the rims) to do, so it has been difficult to get things done.  With the DRZ, my dad and I were able to change out the rubber by hand, but the Versys has larger tires, so it is pretty much impossible to do it manually.  Luckily, the local Harley dealership was able to mount the new rubber on the back rim, so hopefully some time this coming week I will be able to drop off the front tire and have it done as well.

I have also discovered that the 2008 Versys is/was notorious for problematic clutch cables, the stock cable tends to fray and break.  Based on how difficult this clutch is to operate, I think it is safe to say that it is the original.

Not all is lost, however.  I was able to change the oil and put on the new filter.  Hopefully the clutch cable won't be too difficult to replace, either.  That leaves me with the tires.  The tires will take the longest because that requires travel and wait time for Harley to mount the rubber.  One down, one to go.

Also, Gainesville no longer has a Kawasaki dealership, so that has become problematic, especially since the bike is approaching 14,000 miles and is soon due for a good mechanical inspection.  I do not have any idea what kind of maintenance the previous owner had done on this motorcycle, but as I find more and more "bugs" (i.e. stripped screws, over torqued bolts, loose shifter, missing cotter pins), I'm starting to think a complete idiot was working on this bike not knowing his ass from his elbow.  It is all minor things that don't cost much to fix, but they are all associated with vital parts of the bike.  Somewhat concerning.

Right now, the bike is at a good 80%, I will keep you all updated, and hopefully the bike will be up to 100% by the end of the week.  Stay tuned!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment