Friday, July 11, 2014

Rest In Peace, Dad. You Are Why I Ride!

My dad is the reason why I ride motorcycles.  He got me on a bike when I was 10 years old, and introduced me to a wonderful lifestyle that I cherish.  Riding was his passion and I can't thank him enough for sharing that with me. 

My dad was a motorcycle racer.  Competing for years in the Daytona 200 Circuit in the 80's-90's.  To us, he was known as Dad.  On the track, he was known as 56X.  My dad raced Ducati's, BSA's, and Triumphs.  He was a rockstar.  He raced for fun, but would always ride within his skill level.  I always ride with gear, and I never drive beyond my limits.  Experience and time allows our limits to grow, and that's what I rely on.  Simply being on a motorcycle has enough risks, why drive like a fool?

I regret not spending more time with him on the weekends back when I lived at home. But I am thankful for the time and knowledge I gained after I got out of the Navy.  He taught me things about motorcycles and how to take care of basic maintenance.  There's so much more I wanted him to teach me, but I never had the chance.  But I don't sit and dwell on what I missed, I cherish what I had. 



Now, he's on the greatest ride he could ever have.  He was a great man who loved his country, and his countrymen.  Our community lost a great man, but he's still with us.  With every ride I take, I know he's with me.  I feel him.

D.J.M. 1947-2014.  I love you dad!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment