Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Behind the Fallen Iron Curtain: Ukraine

Good morning, readers-

One of the more interesting former Soviet countries I visited was Ukraine.   I say "interesting" because I feel that Communism still has a hold there.  Capitalism was apparent, there seemed to be a fairly large amount of tourism, economic competition and Western influence (there was a Baskin Robbins, McDonald's, Adidas, and even a Disney store), but there was something "in the air" if I may put it that way.  I did not have the same "democratic feeling" in the Ukraine as I had in Georgia or Bulgaria.  Ukraine, to me, seemed perfectly content with their position in the post-Soviet era.  I saw very little construction, but I think they made that transition years ago and have settled in.  Though, it doesn't help that a Communist rally marched down the street while I was eating lunch.  Seeing flags with the faces of Josef Stalin and Vladimir Lenin flying in the wind didn't exactly scream "Capitalism".  Overall, I did enjoy the Ukraine very much.  The food was great (I had Borscht and it was one of the best thing I've ever had).  I visited a massive cathedral in Odessa and brought back a hand painted porcelain chalice.  The public parks were very nicely maintained, and my group and I decided to pretty much hang around the area between the cathedral and the park (many shops, vendors, restaurants, & live music).  While in the public park, I noticed a bronze statue of a man on a park bench.  I can't read Ukrainian, but it strongly resembled Nikita Khrushchev.  I haven't been able to find anything information online, so who this man truly is, is a mystery to me.  But for now, I'll stick with Khrushchev because that's who it looked like.  I asked for permission to take a bus tour up to Pripyat/Chernobyl to visit the city (parts of it have been cleared for a guided tour), but of course the Navy said "no, you'll die of radiation and we can't afford to lose bodies".....naturally.  But I was about 7 hours away nonetheless.  I'd probably go back to Ukraine if given the chance.











No comments:

Post a Comment