Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Expedition Egypt: Part Deux



Egypt is so legit, that even Blogger says "Nah son, you gotta break dat up into two posts."
the nose is missing.  Awesome picture.  Believe what you want but I am going to blame Napoleon, he was such a little jerk.

The answer is yes, I answered the riddle correctly the first time.  And faster than that jerk Harry Potter too, he sucks



solid gold Chair of King Tut—his queen is anointing him with oil, which is considered a tender moment.  Each is only wearing one sandal, which is a sign of fidelity to each other. 



Red Sea, What’s cool about this? I got to drive under it son!  Ain’t modern architecture amazing?





Base of Mt. Sinai (Below).  Outside of St. Catherine’s Monastery.

St. Catherine’s Monastery at the base of Mt. Sinai.  It housed the Burning Bush and either a replica or the supposed actual Ten Commandments. It was over 10 years ago, and I’m old.

Inside of the monastery town.  This is the walkway up to the base of Mt. Sinai.  It was also home to a Greek Orthodox Cathedral.

Mt. Sinai at sunrise, from the top.  My mother and I climbed to the top with the rest of an expedition and we took a camel halfway up before it became too steep to travel on anything other than foot.  It was freezing cold as well.  The camels and the pathway still give me nightmares.  If anyone has ever ridden a camel, you know that when they walk the first thing that comes to mind is “Weebles wobble but they won’t fall down!” except that you don’t remember the second half of that saying when you are on top of a camel, walking on a tiny pathway barely wide enough to fit 5 people as the camel walks along the side of the path over a sheer drop over 100 feet.  “Nightmare Fuel” doesn’t even do it justice.  I still have bad dreams about it.  Another significant event shall we say was when my mother was freezing cold.  A French lady stopped as I was huddling around my mother hugging her trying to get her warm.  We were on the verge of turning back because my mom was too cold, but this French lady gave my mother a sweater out of the goodness of her heart, so I guess that there is one nice French person.  I take nothing back that I’ve ever said about the rest of the French though.


The Nile River Delta! Except this delta doesn’t provide crappy service, unsmiling faces or stick you in coach class next to a guy with the flu or SARS who is spread out across the entire row and snores, and the only compensation they give you is a seatbelt that works.  No, this Delta has people who actually care. Also it is amazingly beautiful.  Man I miss Egypt.   

Valley of the Kings (Above & Below)


All joking aside, I loved Egypt.  It was an amazingly unique experience I was blessed to enjoy and from which I grew tremendously as a person.  People can stereotype Africa and Muslim countries all they want, but there are just as many crappy, crazy people in literally any other country.  Your religion may make up a large portion of who you are but it doesn’t make you a good or a bad person, that much is up to the individual. I saw good and bad, but no more than I’ve seen in Japan, England, France and America.

Time for me to #logoff

No comments:

Post a Comment