Sunday, September 1, 2013

Behind the Fallen Iron Curtain: Georgia

The Republic of Georgia-

Georgia was the most economically divided country I visited when I was in the Navy.  But it also had the most potential of any country I've seen.  Foreign investors were really driving the economic growth through out the country and that was most evident in the city of Batumi.  The "tourist" section of Batumi was a great distraction from the quality of life that the true Georgians were living in.  The most visible building was the Sheraton Hotel, a magnificently white skyscraper that drew visitors to that area.  It was right next to the beach, surrounded by beautiful walkways, water features, fancy park benches, public ping pong tables, and a small bamboo forest.  All of this ran parallel to a beautiful wooden walkway on the beach that stretched as far as I could see in both directions down the coast.  Further from the Sheraton (closer to where my ship was moored), the downtown square was the most beautiful section of town.  A massive sculptured water fountain stood in front of the Batumi Theater/Oprah House, which was highlighted with gold painted accents.  Foreign embassy's also made up the nearby streets.  All sorts of modern hotels, restaurants, and office spaces were being built.  I stumbled upon a restaurant in the shape of a wooden sail ship that was facing the beach.  I enjoyed Pear beer and cow tongue in a horse radish sauce.  Quite delicious, actually.  The horizon had beautiful hills and mountains with smaller towns dotting the landscape.  Georgia was just recently recognized as a European nation, and joined the European Union.  They are very proud of this fact, because economic support and opportunities for growth come standard with this recognition. However, just two streets behind the Sheraton Hotel, was the poor Georgia.  The streets literally went from concrete and cobblestone, to sand.  Shacks, shady businesses, poverty, hunger, crime.  I accidentally stumbled into this area with a few friends and we didn't want to stick around.  I refused to bring out my camera because I did not want to get mugged.  The diversity between "first world" and "third world" was truly frightening and very apparent.  I attribute this to the fact that Russia casts a looming shadow over Georgia (as it does all of its former Soviet satellites) and also attacked Georgia in 2008.  The good thing is that these poor regions of Georgia are on the decline.  The economy is growing, and as I explored further into the city (away from the Sheraton), I noticed corporations, small businesses, public transportation, city parks, parking garages, and LOTS of construction!  I know that here in America, all of those things are a given, but in a nation rebuilding from decades of Soviet control and trying to find their own identity, this was a wonderful sight! As I left, I remember telling a friend "This place was great, but I want to return in 10-15 years to see the growth".  I mean that, because Georgia was screaming with economic possibilities and I truly believe the Republic of Georgia could become a social powerhouse in Europe.

















1 comment:

  1. It's interesting how you mentioned all the construction going on in the post-Soviet era in these countries. I read a book that was an anthropological perspective on this. How these countries are building after that era; this book specifically was on Gerber, but it is awesome to hear/see if from someone who also noticed that.

    ReplyDelete