Sunday, September 8, 2013

Florida-Georgia Line

I want to take a break from the "world traveler" aspect of my blog and feel the wind in my face!

I recently took a fun ride to the Florida-Georgia State Line.  Initially, my plan was to drive some of the county roads and dirt roads in Alachua County and neighboring Colombia County.  However, once I realized how close I was to the state line, the rider in me couldn't resist the cruise.  I ended up putting a little over 120 miles on the DRZ at the end of the day.  I rode on various back roads until I reached Lake City.  I could not have asked for better weather for the drive!  Temperature around 85, nice and sunny with few clouds, no wind, along with little traffic.  For those who are familiar with Florida's summer weather, you know that those "perfect days" usually don't last all day.

I stuck mainly to US 441, so in the event I had motorcycle trouble or the weather turned against me, I would have a direct path home.  One of the towns that I traveled through was a little one called Like Oak.  The road through town had a lower speed, but a few nice curves and on a dual sport, it was a really enjoyable strip of road.  As the name leads on, Live Oak was full of beautiful Oak trees that lined the road.  As I ventured closer to the state line, population density decreased.  There was a 10-20 mile stretch of road that if something were to happen, I probably would have been in trouble because cell service was hit and miss.  


The ride home was mostly as pleasant as the ride up.  Mostly.  Like I stated previously, perfect Florida summer weather doesn't last.  A rain shower is 99% guaranteed to happen.  I did have lady luck on my side as the rain shower didn't hit until I was 4 miles from home.  However, I was in shorts and a shirt when I drove into a wall of water.  I had to pull off and wait an hour for the rain to let up enough for me to get home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment