Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Expedition Egypt

Hello readers (and my one follower)!

 This post comes to you directly from Crankbait.  A dear friend and recent UCF grad who betrayed the Sunshine State all because he wanted to experience "seasons".  Anyway, I asked if he would share his experiences of living in Egypt and he happily agreed.  So here you go!

Welcome everyone, to another edition of the Florida Rider.  I’ll be guest blogging on here from time to time when Jimmy asks me to write for him.  So I’ll start by introducing myself.


            I’m much like the lycan/vampire hybrid you see in the “Underworld” series in that I was raised by a Southern mother and a Northern father and have lived in both the South and North as well as the barren wasteland that is the Midwest.  My Texas-born-and-raised grandfather living with me has only furthered the cruel social experiment, and as a result I have this to show for it.  

What the Hell, right?
I kid about the Midwest, but seriously my home state is a little lacking in major cities, (we have 2, one of which half belongs to another state, so thanks for nothing Kansas).  As you can already tell, I’m going to be a bit different than Jimmy when it comes to blogging.   I may be a little abrasive, some might not even find me funny.  Too bad. Don’t worry, I’ll save the really incendiary stuff for Xbox.  You won’t get anything intentionally offensive out of me, no sir.  So lets get on with it, homies. 

I’ll make the rest of my bio short and sweet for everyone.  I graduated from UCF with a degree in Marketing (lol) and I love hockey.  Specifically #USABestHockey (sorry Canada) #worldjuniors2013.  I don’t associate with a political party because I think they are hot dumpster fires, I don’t abide by any religion or credo other than “don’t be a terrible person”.  I believe that, if there is a Jesus, he most certainly COULD hit a curve ball, that batting average is at the least the second worst way to judge a baseball player’s ability, and that every child deserves the right to have only 151 Pokémon.  And on a serious note parents, when your kid is 18, stop doing everything for him; It’s time to let lil Johnny grow up.   Speaking of your kids, I also believe that it should be illegal to dress your child in Jorts and Crew socks

Andrei, C’mon man.  End the madness, people.

I have been blessed to travel all over the world and visit different countries for extended periods of time.  These experiences have taught me a great deal of perspective on how the world works and shown me the ludicrousness of racism and bigotry, which in my opinion essentially boils down to unwillingness to understand and embrace a culture different than your own.  I will go into what I learned from my specific travel in Egypt at the end of this post, but first let us all step into my time machine and get this puppy rollin’ back to 1999.

I want all of you to think of Egypt, go ahead, close your eyes.  If you think of flying carpets and lamps, open your eyes and slap yourself, you racist.  This isn’t a 1995 Disney movie.

Egypt was a beautiful place, and yes, blah blah blah, I know much of it is desert. I get that.  But the country was still beautiful.  The people there were just wonderful.  They loved tourists, and most in fact went out of their way to help you.  One of the best things I remember was going to the Khal el Khalil; which is the oldest market in Cairo, dating back to biblical times actually.  The staircases, the pathways, all built by hand.  It captured an essential part of Egyptian life…haggling.  You could bargain and haggle your way into any price, for ANY object.  There was never a set price.  In fact I remember my grandfather haggling over a gallon of milk. MILK, people.  It was wild.  Back to the market though. When you enter the market they have some military there armed with AK-47’s.  If that doesn’t tell you to keep in line, boy howdy I don’t know what will.   The was a vast maze of stores that went on forever.  The walkways were cramped so you needed to be prepared to jostle with people and keep a firm hold on your belongings.  The shop owners would sit or stand on the steps outside of the shop and cry out what their shop had and in some cases would try to lure people into the shop to bargain. 

An effective tactic that we found was to know roughly what you were looking for beforehand.  You could do that by going one day and just looking around, not buying, in some shops.  Many shops carried similar products so you could get a good idea of what you liked.  Now this is not to say that all shops were the same, but just that similar products were carried. But having an idea beforehand was essential to getting a good price.  You could simply ask the shop owner how much a certain thing was and they’d give you a price.  If you didn’t like it you just say “no thanks” and walk off.  Odds are that they will come follow you and haggle with you over the price.  They want a sale as badly as you want your trinkets and such.  No one goes around the world to come back empty handed, c’mon people.  I wish I had some pictures of the market to show you, but I cannot find my album with those pictures.  In other words, It is in storage in another state.

Now, I have no idea what the police force is like now with the current state of affairs, but I do know that when I was there they were fun to watch.  They didn’t have guns, just the billy clubs and a whistle. They had to chase people down on foot if there was a problem.  I once watched in awe of a police officer as he hauled ass through an intersection to chase down a bus and he jumped on the bus through the door AS IT WAS MOVING.  Egypt’s Finest, doin it big.  Driving there was nothing short of a terrifying and frightenly maddening experience.  Hey LA, think your traffic is bad? LOL.  Try driving in Cairo, ever.  In LA you nerds have to stay in your lanes and obey traffic laws, boo hoo.  In Cairo, traffic laws and lanes don’t account for jack.  They turn a 4 lane road into a 7 lane road just because they feel like it.  No one obeys the traffic signals, they stop and go as they please.  Have you seen any zombie movie were the zombies run together in a huge pack through a city street and its like a swarm of ants? Now pretend those zombies are actually cars driven by real people.  That’s the best way I can describe it.  Pure madness.
            Taxis were always an adventure.  You could haggle on prices before you even left and buddy make sure you got the price BEFORE you step in the car because they can change the price on you like Kim Kardashian changes husbands.  The interesting thing was that there were legal and illegal taxis, but it wasn’t very heavily policed.  Imagine walking down Broadway in New York and some random dude pulls up next to you and asks you if you want a ride, but you have to pay him.  Same story, different place.  It was always a crap shoot doing that, because the illegal taxi drivers didn’t have to adhere to the same pricing strategies etc.  Now when I say “illegal” taxi drivers what I mean is that these guys made a living taxiing people around, but they weren’t part of a licensed company.  Sometimes the illegal drivers would try to mess with people and I can’t tell you the number of times they tried to change the price etc and people would say, “yes well the cops are over there so you’ll take the price we agreed upon” and they would just drive off instead of collecting a fare.  Sad, but true. 

The only dark side I ever saw to Egypt was involving licensed Taxis ironically.  Once my mother and grandmother were in a taxi and there was an accident involving the taxi they rode in.  Apparently in Egypt, even if you are licensed, getting in an accident while driving tourists around is BIG trouble.  The police according to my grandfather “will hold the foreigners partially responsible for the accident, sometimes will haul you off to jail and with any interaction between police and foreigners there will be very steep fines”.  Now my grandfather lived there for over a year so he is a qualified source, so pipe down you liberal hippies who are probably wallowing in your tears from the Nixon era, shouting “QUIT BEING RACIST”.  But bottom line, involvement with authorities comes at a big price to foreigners. 

            There are so many things I could tell you about the culture.  It was out of respect that we stayed out of the streets when were heard the Prayers going on.  Many people would stop on the sidewalks or the street medians to pray.  They showed respect to the Christians and to the foreigners, so why should we not do the same no?  They appreciated the differences we all shared and in turn it taught me as well.  There was a strong sense of community as well.  Things that would probably not happen in America because everyone is so lawsuit happy and this country is so whiny and sensitive about every little thing, happen in Egypt.  There was a little girl who was hit by a truck on the street below our flat, and the truck driver tried to drive off.  Guaranteed, in America people would have let that jerk drive off and taken down his license plate.  Yeah, well, in Egypt that crap don’t fly.  People IMMEDIATELY surrounded the truck as another group tended to the girl.  The truck driver tried to drive through the crowd and someone dragged his sorry behind out of the truck while another turned the car off.  I watched a citizens arrest from the 7th story.  It was bittersweet, as what I assume was the father of the girl had to pick the girl up in his arms and started sprinting for the nearest hospital, through the streets.  The nearest hospital was at least 5 miles I knew.  It was terrible.  But the jagweed who hit the girl was apprehended.  Yeah, time to step up your game America.(see: lawsuit because my feewings were huwt after I hit da girl).


            There was so much more that I could tell you about Egypt but I am at almost 2000 words now, so I’ll put it in pictures from here on out with some blurbs about each picture if needed.  Hope y’all enjoy, and Go USA.
Memphis, Egypt


Pyramids of Giza.  Khafre’s (front) and Menkaure’s (back).  

Step Pyramid of King Zoser.  In 6th grade we had to build Egyptian stuff for our projects, and I made an exact replica of this.  Best BELIEVE I got an A on that section.





Khufu's "Great Pyramid"


No comments:

Post a Comment